Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

The Tunnel of Redwood Love

I know it’s a Friday and I should not rant on the gateway to the weekend.  But rant I must, even though I took down Mark Weir on Strava for the KOM on this short little uphill piece by my house.  Yes, that Mark Weir.  So anyway, I was just riding along, having a great little road spin out through the redwoods because I am not sure if I will get to ride this weekend; daughter has a 2-day softball tournament and I am a coach.  We will travel and play both days so a ride is unlikely.  Anyway, on my home and up the last ascent to Big Rock and I am in the big ring and smiling and feeling great.  I am seriously looking forward to the descent, can taste it even.  As I near the top I cast a peak under my left armpit to see if any cars are coming.  Yup.  One.  I stomp on it and try to beat it over the top.  It speeds up and passes me right on the crest.  Oncoming traffic is honking at this genius because he is over the center line and he swerves right in front of me, narrowly missing a stream of oncoming cars.  And you know what?  I'm not pissed, just disappointed.  I was so looking forward to blasting that swooping descent.  Carving turns and flowing gracefully down the mountain, not setting any records, mind you, but fluid and smooth as it should be.  But no. This cat in his Oldsmobuick is managing about 16.3 mph and there is no room to pass because of the construction.  Seriously, dude!  That’s your move?  Sheeeeit, I think I need some new break pads after that debacle.  Now I know I am a cyclist and conscientious of other cyclists when I drive but all drivers should be cool and aware, way cooler and way more aware than that dude.   Well, that’s my Friday rant.   Enjoy your weekend and get out and ride for me because it looks like I wil be sequestered to the softball diamond all weekend – happily.
Oh, and that is the space shuttle Endeavour out my office window.  Just a day of history in the making.

Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment